The right timepiece is going to allow you to command the kind of respect that you deserve in your workplace. The perfect watch is going to further emphasize your position, your influence, and your value.
At the same time, you have to make sure that you have selected the right watch for your specific profession. There are a lot of different watch options out there to choose from, but you’ll want to find one that sends the message that you’re hoping to.
These 15 tips should help you be able to choose the right watch depending upon your industry or profession.
Watches for Entrepreneur
As an entrepreneur or a “Titan of Industry” you’re going to want to make sure that you have selected a timepiece that shows just how successful you’ve been without flaunting your results or “puffing yourself up”.
There is a world of difference between getting your hands on a $5000 Rolex and pretending like you are a big shot and getting your hands on a $50,000 Breitling and communicating that you REALLY are a big deal without shoving it in people’s face.
Entrepreneurs are almost always going to be able to purchase top-tier watches and timepieces without having to hunt for the best deals, but the thrill of the hunt is still definitely something that you’re going to want to partake in. There’s just something about tracking down your dream watch, negotiating a better price, and scoring another “win” on your belt that really dovetails nicely with the mindset of entrepreneurs.
- Always be on the lookout for watches that convey real value and wealth without looking too ostentatious or too gaudy. This can be a bit of a delicate tightrope to walk, but it’s definitely one that you are going to want to do – especially if you don’t want to drum up negative feelings amongst your employees or to put off potential business partners and joint venture opportunities.
- At the same time, the wrong watch – a watch that is too cheap or looks too cheap – can definitely convey the wrong kind of message to your peers. You’ll want to be sure that you are “dressed appropriately for the occasion”, and that means choosing a watch that might be out of your comfort zone budget wise but one that sends the right message to those you are hoping to influence.
- If you are really trying to find the right timepiece as an entrepreneur but don’t want to break the bank along the way, don’t be shy about going for understated vintage pieces. You might be able to get a great deal on a previously owned watch from a brand name that would have cost you 10 times or more on the brand-new market.
Watches for Sales People
Like entrepreneurs, your watch as an individual in sales is going to say a lot about you. You need to be 100% certain that you are conveying the right message, that you are “dressed for success”, and that you are leveraging your timepiece to close deals that may you might have struggled closing previously.
Unlike entrepreneurs, you might want to choose a watch that is a little bit more ostentatious, a watch that is a little bit more “obvious”, and a watch that really conveys success and wealth. The sales game is all about confidence, and you need to make sure that everything about you screams success, financial security, and the opportunity for real wealth.
- As a salesperson, you might want to choose a watch that is definitely outside of your “normal budget” so long as it conveys the kind of successful money message that you are hoping for. Of course, you may also want to go with a watch that is a bit more gaudy, a little bit more “up front”, and a little bit more outlandish than what you are usually used to wearing.
- The watch that you choose as a salesperson is going to be a big part of your sales persona, which may be distinctly different than who you are when you are “off duty”. It’s important to think of your watch as a big part of your sales costume, if you will, which is why you’re going to want to think about watches that your target market would be impressed by rather than watches that you would go for yourself.
- It’s critically important that you stay on the lookout for timepieces that help you get your message across and give your prospects that kind of confidence in you that you need to close sales. This is why you might want to pick up a handful of different watches – one for each of the industries that you are active in – so that you always have the right watch for the right situation and prospect.
Watches for Professionals
If you are a professional (a doctor, an architect, a manager, etc.), you are still going to want to make sure that you have a top-quality timepiece on your wrist – would you world so going to want to make sure that your timepiece conveys leadership, respect, and control.
- Choose a timepiece that is high quality but at least a little bit understated. Some people feel uncomfortable around professionals and as though they are better than them, but at the same time one to feel confident that they’re moving forward with professionals. It’s a delicate line to walk, but it’s critical that you pull off this balancing act.
- The band that your watch features has to be comfortable, as you’re likely going to be using this timepiece while you’re at the office. Make sure that it is high quality, made out of a material you are comfortable with, and fashionable with all of the different outfits you anticipate wearing.
- You probably aren’t going to want to go with a truly expensive timepiece because of the amount of daily wear this watch is going to get. The last thing you want to do is dent, damage, or ding a valuable watch!
Watches for Craftsman or Service Provider
Craftsmen (those that work with their hands) and other service providers are going to want to look for timepieces that are accurate, reliable, and as close to indestructible as it gets. They should also look for watches that they don’t mind destroying in the process of their day-to-day operations, so budget is always going to be a serious consideration.
- Vintage watches are almost always a good idea for those that work with their hands. There is just something comforting about the image of a professional craftsman using a timepiece that was likely created by a craftsman just like themselves 50 years or more in the past.
- Service providers need watches that are as comfortable as can be, especially if they are going to be wearing a watch throughout their entire shift. Definitely focus on a watchband that this comfortable, lightweight, and durable.
- Speaking of durability, you need a watch that is as indestructible as it can be. You’ll want waterproof, shockproof, drop proof, and any other kind of “proof” you can get from a watch. You’ll also want to try and get your hands on a watch that won’t break your bank account – especially if you’re going to have to replace it from time to time.
Watches for Service Industry and Outdoorsmen
People in the service industry (restaurants, hotels, etc.) and those that spend a lot of time outdoors are going to want to make sure that they are able to get their hands on timepieces that are high quality and made to last, but also watches that offer the kind of aesthetic necessary for the job at hand.
This can be a bit of a challenge, but it’s definitely something that you’re going to want to take seriously if you work in any of these industries.
- Those in the service industry are going to put their watches through the ringer on a day to day basis, so we watch that can take a licking and keep on ticking is going to be very highly prized. Look for watches that can be crushed by a car without any obvious signs of damage.
- Outdoors people are going to be (surprise, surprise) spending the overwhelming majority of their time outside – and that means that their watches need to be able to face any and every kind of weather imaginable. Waterproofing is critical, but so is “glow-in-the-dark” or “night vision” capabilities for low light situations.
- Watches that are relatively inexpensive are favored by those in both the service industry and those that work outdoors for obvious reasons. These are the kinds of watches that are easy to destroy, these are the kinds of watches that are easy to lose, and these are the kinds of watches that are going to get beat up. Basically, these are the kinds of watches that are going to have to be replaced!
Your Choices are Unlimited
All things considered, finding the right watch for your specific industry shouldn’t be all that difficult so long as you think about the kinds of watches you have come across at work. Pay attention to all of the inside information we are able to share above and you won’t have anything to worry about!